St Mark’s Cathedral

Dominating the little square at Korčula’s heart is this magnificent 15th-century cathedral, built from Korčula limestone in a Gothic-Renaissance style by Italian and local artisans.

It was built by local masters and craftsman of stone masonry, very well known in renaissance and baroque Dubrovnik and Venice. Most famous among them was the stone mason Marko Andijic, who completed the cathedral’s tower and cupola (1481), as well as elegant ciborium above the main altar. Cathedral’s facade is decorated with a beautiful fluted rose and various relief and statues, while the main door – portal is framed by statues of Adam and Eve, and figures of lions. Inside the Cathedral, there are two Tintoretto’s paintings: Three Saints, and The Annunciation. Other noteworthy artworks include a bronze statue of St Blaise by Ivan Meštrović, and a painting by the Venetian artist Jacopo Bassano, as well as the modern sculptures in the baptistery.

Gallery