Walls of Ston

The Walls of Ston are a series of defensive stone walls, originally more than 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) long, that surrounded and protected the town in the Republic of Ragusa. Today, it is the second-longest preserved fotification system in the world, and often dubbed the “European wall of China”. Their construction began when the Dubrovnik Republic bought Ston in 1333, and set about building a system of defense to protect the salt pans that provided the town with its wealth. In total, seven kilometres of the wall were built, including three forts, 41 towers, 7 bastions and a system of moats at the Ston end of the wall. Much of this can still be seen, and the thoroughly-renovated stretch of wall linking Ston with Mali Ston can be walked in its entirety – the effort involved in tackling the steep sections is more than made up for by the views.

Gallery